Designed to grow nurses’ political competence, the American Nurses Advocacy Institute (ANAI) aids in enhancing advocacy skills and building exposure to coalitions, media, political action committees, the creation/delivery of testimony, and other aspects of the legislative process.
What makes ANAI unique is that the program encompasses a full year, during which time it is expected that each individual participant will work on a specific project or series of activities with an assigned mentor in the state with guidance from the national American Nurses Association.
In addition, candidates will participate in a call every other month with colleagues from throughout the United States, delving into a specific topic while providing an update on the political environment within their state and the status of respective activities.
As an ANA-NY Member Benefit, up to two candidates will be selected and sponsored by ANA-NY. Click here to submit an application.
- Be a member in good standing with their state nurses association (C/SNA) and the American Nurses Association (ANA).
- Have been actively engaged with the C/SNA and /or ANA for at least one year, preferably related to policy and/or grassroots activity.
- Have demonstrated leadership either with the C/SNA and /or identified by an employer (reference)
Will commit to full participation in:
- All face-to-face sessions while in Washington, DC.
- Discussion Calls (1 hour) held every other month
- Execution of a policy action plan or series of activities as agreed to with C/SNA leadership
- Provision of updates to C/SNA Board of Directors as requested
- Education of C/SNA members related to policy activities via, contribution to column(s) in C/SNA newsletters; present at annual C/SNA convention/lobby day and/or serve as the C/SNA “go to” contact for legislators within their district.
Application Deadline: Thursday, April 6, 2023